This is what’s left of Combinatul Siderurgic “Victoria” (Victoria Steel Works) at Călan, Hunedoara County. The steel mill was built around 1870, when the area was part of Austria-Hungary. The plant knew a powerful expansion following nationalization in 1948 by the Communist regime, making a vital contribution to the growth of the town. Privatization in the late ’90s proved unsuccessful, and the works were largely abandoned within a decade.
Industrial Aftermath – a subjective journey across Romania’s extinct industrial sites
© Mishu Vass. All Rights Reserved.